Saturday, April 2, 2011

6.4 miles

No walking. No stopping. Straight jogging/running twice around Lake Calhoun's bike path. Yup. Sure, I was moving slow, but I was still going faster than the speed walkers. 


I decided yesterday it was time to try a long run. I don't know why, but I just really wanted to test myself. I've never run farther than 4.5 miles, and I figured if I'm going to set a goal of doing a half marathon in October (did I ever mention that goal? *See side note) that I'd better try out longer distances. Usually I just run 3 to 3.5 miles most days, but I had a Saturday off and it was SO beautiful in Minneapolis that I just went out and did it. 6.4 miles later, here I am, glowing in my accomplishment. 






Have you ever heard the phrase, "piss like a racehorse"? Charming, I know. Racehorses really push themselves during races and overexertion can cause bleeding in the lungs and nose. They are given a medication before races to keep them from bleeding during the race.  This medication is also a diuretic, which causes heavy urination. Combine that with the sheer adrenaline horses feel before racing and they pee a lot before races. Well, that was me before my run. No, I wasn't on any meds, but I was so pumped up for this run for some reason that I had to pee 3 times before I even started. 


The first 2 miles were just fine, nothing difficult, just a nice easy pace. I always start and stop at the same point around the lake, and there is one stretch at the beginning of mile 3 that I hate. It's straight and slightly uphill the whole way. I cruised my way down (or up) that stretch and started on my second lap feeling good. Then the side stitches hit. "Breathe through them. In and out, breathe, and don't break the pace." I kept saying that to myself. I'm pretty sure people could hear me talking to myself, but frankly I didn't care, they only saw me for a few seconds and then I was gone. My legs still felt strong and my breathing was good. I was a a good pace that I could keep the whole time. Around mile 5, my left IT band started getting tight and my leg started cramping. I was not about to stop, I had made it that far and I was going to finish. I started trying to shake my legs out mid-stride, which just made me look stupid, but I didn't care who was watching, I just wanted to finish what I had started. 


I could see my car ahead of me about a quarter of a mile and I decided to finish strong. I sprinted as hard as I could manage that last quarter mile. I have never felt so proud of myself. 6.4 miles!


Nice way to start the weekend, huh? :) I need a nap now.




*Side note. I don't remember if I've mentioned my goal of running the Monster Dash Half Marathon in October 2011. It's my ultimate fitness goal for this year and being lighter and healthier will definitely help me attain it. I think I'm going to run it dressed as Lindsay Lohan, my Halloween costume from last year. Check out the mugshot board I made:


Handmade by me. Please, no stealing this idea!

OK, shower and nap time. I'm tired.

2 comments:

  1. Woo hoo! What a fantastic run! Keep up the great work :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Congrats on the new PDR! That is an awesome way to start the weekend! And the Monster Dash is a good choice. I've heard it's a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete